Lisa Theris, 25, of Louisville, was reported as a missing person on July 23 by her family and finally emerged from the wilderness over the weekend.

For approximately a month, the young woman was separated from two men who had burglarized a hunting camp on July 17th.  After learning of her companion’s intentions, Lisa reportedly wanted no part of it and it was then she took off into the woods and was almost immediately lost in the darkness.

The two men, Manley Davis and Randall Oswald, have since been captured and charged for their involvement in the burglary.

Days passed as the young lady kept moving trying to find a way out of the woods.  Without any shelter, shoes or phone, she took to drinking water from a flowing brook and nourishing herself, as much as she could, by eating mushrooms and berries.  Losing about 50 pounds of weight, Theris was eventually spotted emerging from the bushes on the side of Highway 82 on Saturday by a passing motorist.

“A motorist from Florida was driving 82 east of Midway and saw something moving in the bushes. She went back and there was the young lady in the wooded area. She called us and told us she had located the missing person,” Sheriff Raymond Rodgers told 12 WSFA. “Finally the young lady has been found and she’s alive. Thank God.”

Relatives rushed to the Bullock area to greet their family member many thought might not be seen again, as her sister praised the young woman’s resilience.

“Words cannot describe the happiness and relief we feel that she has been found and returned to us,” Elizabeth Theris said. “We are lucky that she is alive, she is so strong and has made it through so much. She is severely weakened, she is in pain, she is emaciated. There is not an inch of her that has not been affected.”

The investigation will continue as Lisa continues to heal as officials still have many questions as to what exactly took place that evening.

“We don’t have the total details on everything yet. We wanted to make sure her health was in the best shape and in the days to come, we’ll get some answers,” Sgt. Chad Faulkner said. “She’s alive and that’s all that matters at this moment. We can confirm she was in the area, but as far as that goes, we can’t confirm anything else right now.”